Family Services

Family Services Information & Links

Bringing Siblings to live in the United States

For a petitioner to bring your sibling (brother or sister) to live in the United States as a green card holder, you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years of age. Permanent residents may not petition to bring siblings to live permanently in the United States. 

  • Additional Documentation for Siblings through Adoption, Step Parents or Paternal Half-Siblings*

*Learn more about bringing your siblings to the United States.

Family Services: IR5 Visa Parents

To petition for your parents to live in the United States you must be at least 21 years old.  Children of your parents (your siblings) cannot be included in the petition.  

Currently you can expect it to take about 6-8 months to bring your parent here.  Your parent will normally wait outside the United States until the process is complete. However, if your parent is already in the USA we can still help.  Once they enter the United States they will be able to go to work immediately if that is their desire. IR5 Visa Parents can learn more here.

Fiance Visa

If you are engaged to someone in a another country and want to marry your fiancée in the United States the visa you will need is the K1 fiancée visa. The K1 fiancée visa allows people from other countries to come to the United States for the purpose of marrying a U.S. Citizen and to live in the United States. There are generally two categories of visas: immigration visas and non-immigrant visas they are coded by a system of letters from A-V. Some examples of non-immigration visas are: tourist visas, student visas and K1 fiancée visas.

Filing requirements for a K1 fiancée visa:

  • You are a U.S. Citizen
  • Have met your fiancée in person within the previous two years
  • You and your fiancée are both legally free to marry
  • Both you and your fiancée both have a sincere intent to marry within 90 days of his/her arrival in the United States
  • You can meet the minimum income requirement for a K1 visa

The K1 visa petition is filed at the USCIS Center. If there are missing documents or incorrect paperwork, you will receive a Request for Evidence (RFE). RFE’s will delay the approval of your K1 visa petition and the issuance of your K1 fiancée visa by several months.

For more information on the fiance visa, follow this link.

Translate »